Alzheimer’s is a neuro-degenerative disorder where a person’s nerve cells in the memory region of the brain are greatly reduced in size as compared to healthy person.
It causes progressive cognitive impairment, including personality changes, the inability to generate and recover new memories, the inability to navigate even in the most familiar situations, and the loss of judgement.
Remedies for Alzheimer’s
Since the exact cause of this disease is still not clinically determined, Ayurveda does not claim to cure it. However, it offers herbs and therapies to improve memory and brain power.
- Ashwagandha: It is said to stimulate nerve endings and improve oxygen delivery to the cells. In the early stages of the disease, it may help prevent dementia.
- Brahmi:It may reduce headaches, anxiety, and depression which is crucial for Alzheimer’s patients.
- Turmeric: It is a powerful antioxidant that may help with dementia. It is considered an excellent neuroprotective herb.
- Shankhpushpi: The herb is said to relax the nervous system and is used to treat nervous disorders such as stress, anxiety, exhaustion, and sleeplessness.
- Nasya with medicated brain oils like shad bindu may also help.
- Hath Yoga is also deemed as an effective therapy to slow the effects of this disease.
Sciatica is the general term for pain originating from the sciatic nerve. It is a common symptom of several medical conditions like slipped disk, lumbar spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis.
What Causes It?
Excesses of Vata either alone or with Kapha cause difficulty and severe pain in the lumbar region down the thighs, knees, calves and feet.
Vata causes rigidity, throbbing pain, irregular shape of body parts and sever stiffness of the knee and waist. Kapha symptoms include stupor, heaviness, poor digestion, excess saliva and aversion to food.
Remedies for Sciatica
- Herbs like nirgundi, bala, punarnava, castor plant, shigru, rasna, jambira, masha may be used as supplements for longer period.
- Formulations Like yogaraja guggul, triyodashanga guggul, kaishora guggul, vishamushti vati, prasarinyadi kashaya, dashmul kwatha, sahacharadi kashaya, rasna- erandadi kashaya etc. are recommended by Ayurveda physicians to relive sciatic pain.
- Therapies such as Dhanyamla Dhara, Abhyanga Svedana, Pathrapotali Svedana (Elakizhi), Sarvangadhara (Pizhichil), Kati Basti, Basti, and others may be performed as advised by an Ayurvedic expert. The duration of the process will be determined by the severity of the condition.
Alcohol's qualities are the opposite of our life sap (ojas). It produces drying and sourness, spreads throughout the body, and heats up. Alcohol also causes bone joint lubrication and can lead to mental issues.
3 Stages of Addiction
- Loss of life sap and mental imbalance.
- Person is at a critical point and can choose harmful activities.
- Excessive amounts of alcohol lead to poisoning.
Remedies for Addiction
All forms of alcoholism are Tridosha and treating them individually, starting from the most excessed one can help them balance and heal the body.
- Vata: Taking Vata-reducing foods followed by salty wine (made from flour) with amalaka and ginger is suggested. Hot baths, enemas, ointments, ghee, milk and oil massage may also help.
- Vata/Pitta: It is recommended to drink cold grape juice to reduce excessive thirst. After having food, it is advised to drink yogurt/water with cane sugar, followed by cold water boiled with musta and amalaka.
- Pitta: Cold, sour, grape wine with sugar, pomegranate, and roasted barley flour is considered beneficial in balancing the acid caused by sharp, hot, burning alcohol.
- Pitta/Kapha: Grape juice or water may be taken to curb the thirst and burning.
- Kapha: Ama removing herbs may be used to improve appetite and return one’s health.
*Please note: The information on this website is solely for educational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice. We do not claim to diagnose, treat or cure any diseases. Kindly consult an Ayurvedic expert or licensed health practitioner before following any remedies suggested here.
To book an appointment with our Ayurveda expert click here.