Paratha is an unleavened whole wheat flatbread and a very popular breakfast in North India.
There are tons of varieties in parathas- Potato paratha, Cauliflower paratha, Paneer paratha, Onion parathas, Carrot parathas and of course Plain parathas.
This paratha recipe I am going to be sharing is a red color paratha- Beetroot Paratha!!
A delicious and healthy Indian Flat Bread made with grated beetroot and aromatic spices. A great way to feed your kids beetroot as it is packed with nutrients and vitamins. Not only it is healthy, but it’s also very flavorful.
Ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is usually served with pickle and yoghurt.
Ingredients for Dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1/4 cup water or add as required
- 1 cup beetroot grated
- 1/2 onion chopped fine
- 2 -3 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp amchur powder (mango)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp heing (asafetida)
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup cilantro finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil or ghee to roast the paratha
Directions for Preparing the Dough
- Grate the beetroots.
- Chop the onions and green chilies very fine.
- Grate the ginger and mince the garlic.
- Chop cilantro very fine.
- Combine whole wheat flour, salt and 2 tsp oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the beetroots, onions, green chilies, ginger and garlic.
- Then add rest of the spices and chopped cilantro.
- Begin to knead.
- Add water as required (2/3 cup approx.)
- Knead to a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
Rolling Beetroot Parathas
- Pinch a medium size portion from the dough and make a smooth ball and then flatten it.
- Flatten it and Sprinkle with some whole wheat flour.
- Gently roll to a paratha of about 8 inches. Sprinkle flour as required while rolling.
Roasting the Parathas
- Heat a tawa and let it become hot. Place the paratha on the hot tawa.
- On a medium to high flame, begin to roast the paratha.
- When one side is partially cooked, then flip to the other side with a spatula.
- Spread some oil or ghee on both sides. it will start puffing up.
- Flip it again and cook fir 2 more minutes till the paratha is evenly roasted and golden.
- Serve beetroot paratha hot with chutney or pickle and some yoghurt.
Check out This Recipe on Instagram Here!