Russet potatoes make the best baked potatoes because of their thick skin, perfectly roasted on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.
Nothing like a hot baked potato!! Yes, it is little time consuming but definitely worth a wait. These Baked potatoes are the best when served with crunchy coleslaw, buttery corn kernels, grated mozzarella and spiced with chopped jalapeno.
- 4 medium russet potatoes (baking potatoes, washed and dried)
- 1/2 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn, drained
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp vegan butter
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions for Baking Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 2500F.
- Prick the potato a few times with a fork.
- Microwave the potatoes for about 3 to 4 mints.
- Remove it from the microwave.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the outside of the potato with melted butter or olive oil until it is completely coated on all sides.
- Sprinkle the potato with a generous pinch of Kosher salt,
- Place the potatoes in the oven and cook them for about 30 to 45 mins or until they are tender when pierced with a knife.
Directions for Coleslaw
- Shred the green and red cabbage.
- Slice onions very thin.
- Grate the carrots.
- Now mix all these in a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil.
- Mix in the vegan Mayonnaise.
- Stir everything together.
- Season salt and pepper.
- Your Coleslaw is ready. Keep it aside.
- When the potatoes are ready, carefully remove from the oven.
- Transfer onto individual serving plates.
- Slice each potato into half, lengthways
- Don’t cut it completely. Just cut it enough so that it opens like pita pocket.
- Add a teaspoon of butter to the center of each potato.
- Top it with coleslaw.
- Sprinkle some Mozzarella cheese
- Add finely chopped jalapeno.
- Season with salt and pepper.