Punjabi Paneer Butter Masala is one of the most popular paneer recipes of India.
This dish is traditionally loaded with butter and cream and is high in calories, but the recipe which I have shared, is a healthy version.
Instead of heavy cream, I have added cashew milk and non-diary whipping cream to the tomato gravy. This makes the gravy rich and creamy and gives a gorgeous color to it. Paneer butter masala is a all-time favorite dish in our house.
Ingredients for Paneer Butter Masala
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cups diced Paneer
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1tbsp Kasturi Methi (fenugreek leaves)
- 3 fresh tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 green chilis
- 2 pods garlic
- A small piece of ginger
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1/2 cup nondairy whipping cream
- 1 small green bell pepper sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced
- 3 tbsps of cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- Grind the tomatoes along with onion, ginger, garlic and green chilis. Keep it aside.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, turmeric, red chili powder cumin and coriander powder.
- When it splutters add in the ground tomato paste and roast it for 5 mints.
- Add cashew milk and cook the gravy for a while in low heat.
- Add Kasturi methi (fenugreek) and salt.
- At the end, add the diced paneer and non-diary whipping cream.
- Let the gravy simmer for another 5 mints for a rich creamy orange color.
- Paneer butter masala is ready.
Directions for Preparing for Garnishing
- Slice the green bell pepper
- Slice the red bell pepper
- Chop cilantro
- Heat vegan butter in a pan
- When the butter is hot, add the green and red bell peppers and stirfry till golden brown.
- Keep it aside
- Garnish the roasted bell peppers on top of the paneer gravy.
- Garnish it with cilantro.
- Serve hot with Indian flat breads like Naan, roti, Basmati rice or even Jeera rice.